Ken Selzer, CPA, Kansas Commissioner of Insurance, urges Kansans to know how to handle flood insurance questions following the Labor Day weekend weather events in Central Kansas.

“We at the Kansas Insurance Department (KID) can inform those affected by flooding about the steps needed to assist them,” Commissioner Selzer said. “Most typical homeowners and property insurance policies exclude damage from flood or rising water. If you have flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), there are steps to take.”

Those who have NFIP insurance coverage under the Federal Emergency Management Administration should call their local insurance agents or companies first if they have questions or wish to submit claims. The NFIP toll-free number is1-800-427-4661. The federal agency suggests that Kansans have the following information available when they call:

Name of the policyholder’s insurance company (the local insurance agent may write policies for more than one company).

Policy number if available (call the number above if it isn’t available).

The policyholder’s telephone number and email address.

For more information, visit

The Commissioner also reminded vehicle owners that potential auto claims are handled through the individual’s insurance agent and company. KID does regulate vehicle insurance and can help answer questions regarding those claims. Call 1-800-432-2484 or go to

The insurance department does not regulate the federal National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). However, the KID Consumer Assistance Division can answer basic flood insurance questions and direct Kansans to the proper assistance.