COLUMBUS - The USD 493 school board voted to move the district sports programs from the SEK league to the CNC starting next year.
Columbus Superintendent David Carriger said the vote was 4-3 to move the high school programs to the CNC and 7-0 to move the junior high.
Carriger said the matter had been under discussion for nearly a year, but had to be made before October and the yearly meeting to set division schedules.
One of the reasons given in previous meetings was the cost of travel for the school.
Seth Harley, CUHS Music Instructor, presented information to the board regarding an upcoming high school musical of "Clue" on October 22 and 23 at CUHS. It is an eight member cast with piano accompaniment by Laura Atkinson. Admission will be $5 for students and senior citizens, and $7 for adults. Elementary students will attend a dress rehearsal on Friday before the performances.
The board chose to have Carriger contact an auctioneer about putting the Scammon School property up for auction, and the City of Scammon regarding the location of the donated playground equipment.
Carriger also presented a letter from structural engineer Joel Wycoff, regarding his recent survey of the CUHS football stadium. He reported the facility in poor condition with major weathering and visible wire mesh and rebar. Several areas of concern have been addressed by the maintenance department as recommended by. Wycoff in preparation for use this season. Wycoff recommended the stadium be replaced in the near future. Carriger reviewed the proposed stadium plans and possible funding options.
High School Interim Principal Tony Shearburn reported the high school students will be studying financial literacy. Plans are being made to bring Rachel Ramsey Cruze, Financial Peace University presenter, to talk to students about personal finance spring semester. Freshman will be rotating through life skills studies in seminar classes including job applications, job interviews, scholarships, and personal finance.
In other business, the board:
• Voted to approve a trip request from FFA to attend the National Convention in Indianapolis, Indiana on October 19 - 22.
• Voted to set October 24, 2011 at 6:00 P.M. as a Special Board Training Meeting with KASB.
• Voted to purchase three additional SMART Boards for the remaining second grade classrooms from Capital Outlay Funds.
• Voted to extend a contract to Seth Harley for a drama supplemental.
• Voted to allow the CUHS Titan Band to attend Walt Disney World's "Share a Dream Come True Parade" May 24 - 31, 2012 as presented.
• Voted to appoint P. J. Moran as Food Service Representative.
• Voted to allow two CUHS students to participate in cross-country with Southeast USD 247 students.
• Voted to accept the transfers of Sam Best and Ronnie Johnson.
• Voted to hire Jonathan Blake as custodian, Lynn Carpino as CUHS prom sponsor and Zack Vogel as CUHS assistant volleyball coach.
• Voted to accept the resignations of Kari Soper as prom sponsor and Warren Boldrini as CUHS assistant boys' basketball coach, and;
• Voted to give step raises to Ronda Herrenbruck, Lori Zwahlen, Terry Clements, and Ashley Napier, and to allow two additional paid leave days for twelve-month classified staff on October 28, 2011 and November 23, 2011. Twelve-month contracted classified returning staff will receive a $500 bonus and all other contracted returning classified staff will receive $400 bonus payable with the November paychecks.