The Kansas State Department of Education announces the participation of all Kansas public school districts and many private schools in the National School Lunch and/or School Breakfast Program. Local school officials have adopted the following household income guidelines for determining eligibility for Child Nutrition Program benefits.

Income eligibility guidelines, school year 2009-2010 Household Size Free Benefits Reduced Price Benefits 1 $14,079 $20,036 2 $18,941 $26,955 3 $23,803 $33,874 4 $28,665 $40,793 5 $33,527 $47,712 6 $38,389 $54,631 7 $43,251 $61,550 8 $48.113 $68,469 For each additional household member add † †+4,862 +6,919

Application forms and an informational letter to households are available from the school district or private school. Additional copies are available at the principalís business office in each school. Applications may be submitted at any time during the year. An application for reduced price or free Child Nutrition Program benefits cannot be approved unless it contains complete eligibility information as indicated on the application and instructions.

Households receiving Food Assistance (formerly known as Food Stamps) or Temporary Assistance to Families (TAF) will be notified that their children will be provided free benefits unless the household notifies the school that it chooses to decline benefits. Households receiving assistance under these programs should submit an application only if they are not notified of their eligibility by a specified date determined by the schools. If a household receiving Food Assistance, TAF, or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), completes an application, the childrenís names, the Food Assistance, TAF or FDPIR case number, and the signature of an adult household member must be provided.

Participants in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) may be eligible for reduced price or free benefits. Households with WIC participants should complete an application as described above.

Households with children who are enrolled in the Head Start/Even Start Program or the Migrant Education Program or who are considered homeless or runaway by the school districtís homeless liaison should contact the school for assistance in receiving benefits.

Foster children may be eligible for reduced or free benefits regardless of the income of the household with whom they reside. Contact the school for more information on how to complete the application for a foster child.

Households not receiving Food Assistance, TAF, or FDPIR apply for benefits by completing one application for all children in the household. The application must list names of everyone in the household, the amount of income each household member now receives , source of income, the Social Security number of the household member who signs the application or a statement that the household member does not possess one, and the signature of an adult household member certifying that the information provided is correct. The information is confidential and will be used only for the purpose of determining eligibility. The eligibility status may be verified at any time during the school year by school or other program officials.

Under provisions of the reduced price and free benefit policy, the Determining Official will review applications and determine eligibility. Parents or guardians who are dissatisfied with the ruling of the official may wish to discuss the decision with the Determining Official on an informal basis. Parents wishing to make a formal appeal may make a request either orally or in writing for a hearing on the decision. Contact the school district or private school for the name, address and phone number of the Hearing Official and information about the hearing procedures.

If a household member becomes unemployed or if household size changes, the household should contact the school. Such changes may make the child(ren) in the household eligible for reduced price or free benefits if the household income falls at or below the levels shown above.

In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis or race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). USDA† is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Each school and/or the districtís/organizationís main office has a copy of the policy for reduced and free benefits which may be reviewed by any interested party.