The Columbus Country Club could be one of the oldest businesses in the area. The club was chartered as a non-profit corporation on August 15, 1923.
Sixty-two acres of land east of Columbus was leased in 1923, and later purchased from George W. Hood in 1925. The land was originally owned by the Cherokee Nation, but was later purchased by the federal government who then sold it to a railroad company and eventually the land was sold to individuals.
The charter states the purposes of the country club as “the maintenance of a club for social enjoyment and providing facilities for golf and other innocent sports and amusements.”
There have been changes to the clubhouse and the golf course over the last 50 years, including additions to the clubhouse which were made in the 1960s. An additional dining area and a lounge with, bar were added. Later, the porch was removed and a new bar and lounge were completed on the south side. A new swimming pool and pool house/locker room were finished as well.
The golf course was originally a nine-hole sand green course. This meant golfers had to drag and rake the greens to putt. In the 1960s the board decided to install artificial greens because artificial turf was very popular at the time. The artificial turf was kept until 1973 when they replaced the greens with natural bent grass. The sod was purchased from Schifferdecker Golf Course in Joplin, Mo., cut and transplanted to the existing greens today. A watering system to water the greens was added, and in the 1980s was expanded to the fairways. Now the fairways and greens are watered through irrigation pumps from the country club’s pond and well.
Since last fall two greens have been completely redone at the course and all have been aerated and top dressed this spring. Also a new, enlarged, practice green has recently been added and should be ready for play soon. The club has been working hard to make improvements to the course.
Membership is open to everyone and currently the club is having a membership drive. The dues have been reduced considerably.
Single memberships start at $300 per year and family memberships start at $450 per year. Membership includes golf, swimming, club house access, social functions and parties.
The club is also available to be rented for special events including class reunions, wedding receptions, business luncheons and others. The club can be rented by a nonmember for $400 a day and by a member for $200. Availability is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Weekends are already filling up.
The country club also welcomes Mike Roark to their staff. He will be providing food service at the clubhouse as the Clubhouse Deli and Grill. Hours and menus for the restaurant will be available soon. Catering for parties and receptions will also be available.
For information on new membership, applications, or event planning, call (620) 674-1331, (620) 674-2134, or (620) 674-1966.