The Unified School District 493 School Board and Superintendent David Carriger honored four retiring board members at the June meeting.
Paul Hamilton served from 2007 until resigning in August 2010, Marta Brown was appointed to the Board in 2005, was elected and served another term until 2011, Jim Crain served two terms from 2003 to 2011 and Lori Billesbach served three terms from 1999 to 2011.
The board also voted to raise base meal prices for the 2011-2012 school year. Lunch prices will go up by $.10 per meal and breakfast by $.05.
Instrumental music instructor Gae Phillips made a presentation to the board requesting the board consider hiring a certified/qualified instructor to help maintain the instrumental music program. Phillips cited increased enrollment in the program as one reason for the request.
The board voted to adopt the transportation handbook as presented.
The board also took several personnel actions following an executive session.
Laura Findahl was transferred to teacher/library aide at Columbus Unified High School under a teacher contract, hired Lary Dougherty as a bus driver, accepted the resignation of Mick Tedlock as CUHS assistant football coach, accepted the resignation of Interim Social Studies Instructor Justin Pickens and accepted the retirement resignation of district mechanic Berry Cain.
Additionally, the board adopted the final contract non-renewal resolution on CUHS library aide Kenda Bynum.
In other business the board:
• Approved the Professional Development Plan as presented.
• Decided to seek community support in the track resurfacing project.
• Voted to allow David Carriger to split the carpet bids between the low bidders, David Newberry and Michael Newberry, as presented.
• Approved the CUHS student handbooks as presented with the correction of the library to be open until 3:30 p.m.
• Approved the classified “at-will” employees contracts for the 2011-12 school term as presented.