COLUMBUS — The Columbus City Council appointed Mike Leighty to take Rodney Oels vacated ward 5 seat on the council at Monday night’s meeting. Leighty was sworn in Tuesday and will take his seat at the next meeting on March 19.
The council accepted bids from Bob Brassart Construction for repairs to the city hall and police station.
The bids include $4,575 to repair the roof valley between the Columbus City hall and the Columbus Police Station, $1,540 to recaulk all the windows in the building and $1,200 to drill weepholes in the brick facade all the way around the building.
Police Chief Chuck Sharp asked the council for permission to donated unclaimed bicycles to CLASS Ltd.
Sharp said every month the police department collects bicycles which are abandoned or appear to have been stolen and only a fraction are ever reclaimed. He said CLASS Ltd. and requested the bicycles for some of their clients.
Councilwoman Jeri Burton moved that Sharp be allowed to donate bikes to CLASS Ltd and any left over could be used for the city angel tree. The motion, which was passed unanimously, also allows Sharp to dispose of unclaimed bicycles after 30 days.
Mayor Marie Nepple also made a proclamation declaring the week of March 11 Girl Scout Week in honor of the 100th birthday of the Girl Scouts of America.
In addition, Nepple noted the results of the Columbus Visioning survey are available at ColumbusVision.webs.com. Nepple said the plan will be reported to the council next month, and then go the the Kansas Department of Commerce for approval before being returned to the council for action.
In other business, the council:
• Voted to request bids for a GPS mapping system for the water and sewer system.
• Voted to start billing insurance companies when the Columbus Fire Department has to fight a structure fire. Columbus Fire Chief Jason Allison stressed the bill would not go to homeowners or affect their coverage, but said the insurance companies have a fund for the purpose.
• Voted to solicit bids for a new rescue truck for the Columbus fire department.
• Voted to solicit bids for a new lawnmower for the park department.
• Voted to advertise for seasonal part-time laborers for the cemetery.
• Voted to approve several annual raises.
• Voted to approve the hiring of pool attendants for 2012, and
• Voted to approve the hiring of life guards for 2012.