BAXTER SPRINGS - Baxter Springs will now be part of the Route 66 Kansas Scenic Byway.
The Baxter Springs City Council voted Monday to pass a resolution designating the section of Route 66 which runs through Baxter Springs as a historic scenic byway.
The resolution had been brought up at the previous council meeting, but City Attorney Robert Myers said it had to be read through twice before it could be approved.
Additionally the Baxter Springs Fire Department will be having an event for the 10th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. The event is open to the public and will start with a memorial service from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. There will also be a church service and donuts for the people attending. The fire department will also be selling memorial t-shirts to help pay for a granite memorial bench that will be placed at the fire department. There will also be a chain link fence set up and decorated by the high school students and honor guards and music for the memorial service.
The council also decided to close down Park Street between 11 a.m. and noon to accommodate bleachers for the people who come to the memorial service.
The council also decided to use up to $1,000 from the transient guest tax fund to purchase memorial t-shirts for all city employees and council members.
Mayor Jennifer Bingham discussed complaints she has been receiving about smoking in city vehicles during the mayor's report. It was decided City Attorney Robert Myers would write a proposed ordinance with rules about smoking in city vehicles for the council members to review.
In other business, the council:
• Approved sending three city employees to the Mid-America Cable Convention in Branson, Mo. on September 8 and 9 at a cost of $1,200 for three days and two nights and the cost of mileage and meals.
• Approved giving the Baxter Springs Saddle Club $1,000 from the transient guest tax fund to help with repairs being made to the rodeo arena.
• Approved to continue the public hearing for the recreation commission budget to September 13.
• Approved accepting the finished draft for the 2012 budget.
• Approved renewing the pawn broker license for Baxter Gun and Pawn.
The next city council meeting will be 7 p.m. Sept. 13.