BAXTER SPRINGS - Coach Tim Parrish and his Lion football staff have earned the first winning season since 2009, with their overtime win against Parsons (1-7) on the Lions home field Friday night, 44-42.

Baxter Springs (5-3) will next travel to face undefeated Frontenac (8-0) this Friday to end district play. The Raiders squeezed by previously undefeated Columbus last week 21-20. Even with a Lion victory, district play tie-breakers would favor Frontenac and Columbus to move on in the play offs, but what a moral victory a sixth win would mean for this year's Lion program.

The game was low scoring as Baxter Springs held a 6-0 lead going into half time. On their second possession the Lions started at their 18, then went to the 23 on a Viking offside penalty. With big holes provided by the Lion offensive line, Doug Dardenne got to the 34, then Korben Frisbie to the 50. Dardenne bulled his way to the 33. Donovan Anderson swept left to the 24, and Dardenne moved the Lions to the 10. Carrying a few Vikings on his body, Frisbie made his way in.

The second quarter was mostly punts and loss of downs for both teams. One highlight was the Lions’ Isaac Jonnes quarterback sack.

Early in the third quarter, Parsons KeShawn Anderson stepped in front of a Trey White pass at the 50 and returned it to the 15. The Vikings went to the 6. Baxter Springs’ A. J. Himes sacked the quarterback back at the 7. Anderson took a pitch to the 3, and Jamarius Green went to the 1. T. J. Mayhue scored from there. With Cody Stephans PAT kick the Vikings took their first lead 7-6.

In less than one minute, and after a 15 yard Parsons penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, the Lions were at the 32. Frisbie ran to the 18. Dardenne swept right to the 3. A quarterback keeper by White put the Lions up 12-7.

Parsons threatened at the end of the third quarter. From their own 31, with passes they reached to Baxter’s 10. After a tackle for a loss by Matt Miles. They were moved back to the 14. Facing a fourth down they dropped a pass in the end zone, ending their quest.

At the start of the fourth quarter, after the Lions punted on their first possession, the Vikings started at the 15. A pass from Gage Friess to Malik Robinson, and then Robinson a cut back run to the 36. After another catch by Robinson and a late out of bounds hit by a lion defender, Parsons advanced to the 30. With a small hole, Daquan Johnson scored the second Viking touchdown. The 2-point conversion was no good, and Parsons led 13-12.

With very low scoring the overtime was set up. With under three minutes left in the game, Frisbie and Dardenne marched the Lions from their own 15 to the Parsons’ 17. Dardenne caught a White pass at the 6. With a fourth and two, White slipped initially, recovered and continued to the 3. Frisbie went to the 1, and then scored on the next play. Dardenne caught the 2-point pass from White to regain the lead 20-13.

Even with only one win for the season, Parsons wasn’t through. Gavynn Larson returned the kick-off 20 yards to the 49. With time running out, they advanced to the 10. A dropped pass in the end-zone set up a fourth down. Anderson ran in with 50 seconds left. Stephans made his kick good to tie the game at 20.

From there it was back and forth through three overtimes before the Lions finally sealed the deal.