TOPEKA – Knowing basic flood insurance needs is important, according to Ken Selzer, CPA, Kansas Commissioner of Insurance.

“All homeowners and property insurance policies exclude damage from flood or rising water,” Commissioner Selzer said. “However, Kansans can purchase flood insurance through the federal government’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).”

Commissioner Selzer reminds Kansans that the Kansas Insurance Department does not regulate the federal NFIP program, but the department’s Consumer Assistance Division representatives can answer basic flood insurance questions at 1-800-432-2484.

To obtain a flood brochure listing insurance companies that offer policies, contact the NFIP toll-free at 888-379-9531 or go to

Commissioner Selzer also said that if a person’s home is located in a floodplain, that home’s mortgage lender will require flood insurance.