COLUMBUS — A fire erupted at a residence in Columbus on Wednesday night, resulting in one person being airlifted to Tulsa.

The Columbus Fire Department responded to a fire at a residence in east Columbus on Wednesday. Deputy Fire Chief Steve Burton said an individual was working on a vehicle in their garage when gasoline spilled onto the floor. A wood stove in the garage caused the gasoline to ignite. The fire spread rapidly, engulfing both the garage and large parts of the home. Burton said the garage was a total loss and that the home suffered substantial damage.

The individual working on the car was airlifted to Tulsa for their injuries. The name of the victim has not been released. No other people were injured in the incident.

Burton said that no nearby homes were damaged and that the fire department contained the fire quickly.

“It was a very quick knock down, within about thirty minutes,” he said.